The primary responsibility of this position is to ensure the safe, compliant and profitable operation of OPO farms.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the profit of farming operations.
- Supervise operations, from R&D pipeline, crop selection, growing the crops, and including harvest and packaging.
- Work with Managers to enhance decisions related to planting nutrition, irrigation rates, plant health, spray programs, and harvest efficiencies.
- Develop yearly planting forecasts, after analyzing actual versus budgeted information.
- Lead projects to improve the accuracy of yield predictions.
- Lead weekly meetings with Department Managers to discuss and analyze crop performance, and productivity related to budgeted goal metrics and variety performance information.
- Ensure that the workforce is of the size and skill required to manage the production.
- Represent OPO at ag-related meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Implement and adhere to policies established by the company including food safety regulations, accurate production information reporting, and experimental design and reporting.
- Create a management structure, succession plans for all levels of management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in agronomy, agribusiness, or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Minimum 5-8 years’ experience in production agriculture, greenhouse experience preferred.
- Must demonstrate outstanding stewardship and relationship building/management skills to expand the mission of OPO.
- Related work experience should show a strong history of making decisions, and executing on plans through a solution oriented and strong self-motivated approach in managing a successful farming operation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a professional and diplomatic demeanor.
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, listening, and presentation.
- Ability to create new and unique ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit a plus
- Proficient using standard office software such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Datastudio.
- Experience in project management, with skills necessary to interpret what is needed for the success of a project and to create appropriate schedules for timely delivery.
- High level of organizational and time management skills.
- Flexibility in juggling competing priorities and changing expectations.
- Must demonstrate outstanding judgment and mature business skills with the ability to establish a strong rapport with hiring managers.
- Must demonstrate good judgment and mature business skills.
- Extensive Farm management skills, directly related to managing variances to a budgeted business plan.
- The candidate must have experience in managing other managers and have experience supervising farming crews.
- Farming knowledge of growing leafy greens is highly desirable.
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
Be truthful. Be trustworthy. Be honest even in the hardest of moments. Mistakes will happen, nevertheless we show integrity by taking responsibility for our errors, resolving problems and learning from the situation.
This is a team. Working together and sharing ideas helps us to meet and exceed expectations. Listen intently to everyone regardless of their position in the organization, and lend support wherever and whenever you can.
Our success has been as a result of relentless grit through uncharted territory. It is a commitment to achieving the highest levels of performance, both individually and collectively, that defines our work.
Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Holidays – 8 holidays observed annually
- Flexible Time Off for Regular, Full-Time Staff program under which eligible employees may decide when and how much time to take off from work
- Paid Sick Leave for Regular, Full-Time Staff 5 days/year, annual grant on Jan 1st
- Medical & Dental Benefits
- Stock Option
- Wellness programs