About the recipe
Who doesn’t love the versatility of an avocado toast? The possibilities and endless!
For this recipe I wanted to let the coriander microgreens shine so I keep everything else very straight forward. The trick here is to choose an avocado that is ripe but still firm to be able to get those beautiful fanned slices. If you still haven’t mastered the fanning, feel free to get a slighter softer avocado and mash it with olive oil, salt and pepper and spread instead.
This recipe also calls for good quality sourdough bread. With so few ingredients, you have to make sure you are sourcing the good stuff.
Makes 2 toasts.
- 1 sourdough boule, sliced into ¾-inch slices
- 1 avocado
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Flaky sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Willo coriander microgreens
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Arrange sourdough slices on a baking sheet and toast for about 5 minutes or until golden but not hard.
- While the slices are toasting, hold the avocado firmly in one hand, then carefully use a knife to cut through the peel, pressing down until the knife meets the pit. Cut the avocado lengthwise, working your way completely around the pit.
- Remove the knife and set aside, then put one hand on each side of the sliced avocado and twist the pieces away from each other. The avocado should pop open revealing two halves, one of which is housing the avocado pit.
- The easiest way to remove the pit is worth the help of your knife. Place the avocado half in one hand, then use your dominant hand to hold a chef’s knife and firmly tap into the pit. One swift tap and the knife should lock into the pit.
- To remove the pit, hold avocado firmly in your hand, then twist the knife and pit to the side, 45 degrees. The pit should wedge free and release from the flesh of the avocado.
- To peel the avocado, simply slide your thumb under the skin of the fruit, then lift to peel back.
- The avocado can now be cut into thin, long slices. Use a paring knife to cut all the way down, top to bottom, making even slices across the entire length of the avocado. Once it has been thinly sliced into strips, use the palm of your hand to gently press the avocado down in one direction only. The pieces should naturally fan out in whichever direction you pushed them.
- Transfer to your toast and tip with petite coriander microgreens, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with flaky salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!